Thursday, June 24, 2010

What is love?

Looking back at my old self, I discovered I had a completely wrong
idea about what love is, and what it is not.

My thoughts on love, were this:

1. Love is a feeling.
i.e; tingles,being happy around the person,
butterflies,that feeling that you can hardly contain.

Uh, and I guess that was my only thought on it.
And whenever that "feeling" went away,
it would be done for.

Well you see, I have never been in love.
And I know this. But, I think nowadays, I have
a better idea of what it is.

My thoughts on love now are:

1. Love is a choice.
You will not always be happy with the person,
they are going to tick you off, do stupid things,
hurt your feelings, and they won't always have
makeup on. When you stop basing it on feelings,
and start choosing to love them even when they
upset you, that is what I believe is the
beginning of love.

2. Love is a commitment.
I'd say, it's working through arguments.
Sticking together even if the feelings go away.
Because feelings, they don't always last.
Sometimes I feel like God's not there, but I know
He is. Sometimes I feel like I don't want to love,
but I do regardless. Same idea.

3. Love is patient.
Love doesn't nip at someone, right when they
offend you, and think of all kinds of clever comebacks
to say, or ways to hurt their feelings. When you love
someone, you hold your tongue and let yourself calm
down before talking to someone, and letting them know
they hurt your feelings. Love controls it's emotions.
Being easily angered has a lot to do with selfishness.
You don't get what you want, so you're going to be
angry with the person. Patience, is a huge part of love.
None of us are perfect.

4. Love is kind.
It doesn't wait for someone to say they need something.
You see a need, and you help with it. Kindness creates a blessing.
Kindness inspires you to be agreeable. Kindness apologizes, FIRST.
And takes initiative. Kindness makes the first move.
Even if there is no reward. That is love.

5. Love is not selfish.
Love makes a point to put the other person first.
Instead of your OWN desires, you see that the other
persons needs are met FIRST. You should always
have the other persons well being in mind. Their happiness
should be important to you. Even if it means going
out of your way for them.

There are a billion other things that love is, and
is not. But, those are my basics. And that is what I believe.
How about you? What do you think love is?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

-Ms. Conduit

No comments:

Post a Comment